Thursday, October 12, 2006

Knitting Rules - My Review

I just finished reading Knitting Rules by The Yarn Harlot. It was a delightful read, as well as practical. I don't know how I really classify as a knitter... Intermediate Beginner, I guess.

I have knit for years off and on, more off than on. Dishclothes were my mainstay, easy to knit, quick and appreciated as gifts. One day I decided to make a shawl following the same plan. It worked and the shawl will be great if I am ever stuck outdoors in a blizzard (not likely in Texas!) - I envisioned an ethereal lacy cobweb and ended up with industrial thickness and strength. I decided to try again, the next attempt was better. Third time was the charm. I actually worked with a pattern that included knit togethers and yarn overs, I have had many compliments on the end result. The problem with this shawl was my knitting location. I have never had a problem KIP until that project. 100% alpaca and Texas summers outdoors do not go together well. The shawl was my baseball project and I just about died with the heat! So my knitting journey made the detour to socks...socks led to internet searches....resulting in finding the Yarn Harlot...ending in reading her book.

I would definitely recommend her book. The directions are clear. Each section covers different projects..hats, scarves, shawls, socks, etc. Projects are simple with suggestions for variations. Interspersed thoughout the book are witty stories and reasons to (or not to) knit each project. I found the tone of the book to be friendly even for a beginner. I followed her basic sock pattern for the toe decreases in my first sock. I am almost finished with a stocking hat from the book as well. If you are looking for a fun read on the topic of knitting I don't think you could go wrong with Knitting Rules.

No comments: