Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My Library



It has always been my dream to have a library. I always figured it would be a closet somewhere, never a full fledged room.

When we moved into our new home, the formal living room was destined to become the "schoolroom". RacerDad put the bookshelves in for me. I ordered three of them from Staples, put them together and set them up. He thought we could fit a fourth, I wasn't sure. Measurements proved that a fourth would be tight, but it would fit.

I ordered another bookcase, put it together and had it ready for RacerDad to put into place. It was too tight! Unfortunately, our walls are not square. Whose are? That did not stop my creative husband. He was sure that removing the baseboard on one side would solve the problem. Well he removed the baseboard on both ends and we were still lacking 1/2" from the perfect fit.....any fit. Out came the hacksaw. I wasn't sure what he was going to do with a saw, in my schoolroom, late at night. I should have known he would not be stopped by a little thing like a 1/2". He began trimming the foot of the bookshelf. Little by little, the sawdust pile grew, then it was enough. Needless to say, we now have custom "built-in" bookshelves.

We had the room painted a beautiful shade of gold, actually Manored Gold by Sherwin Williams. Then we put in a stone-look tile rather than the cut berber. My schoolroom was finished. The more I looked I determined the room needed a better name than "schoolroom". Rarely do we do school in there anyway. Then it hit me....I finally have a library. It still lacks a big comfy chair. Not sure where that would fit anyway. We are about to need more bookshelves!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, Julie, your library is a wonderful sight for a homeschooling mom. What a beautiful room.

We have so many books in this house but they're scattered in bookshelves all over the house. I'm jealous of all your matching bookshelves all together in one place.

Julie in Texas said...

I am blessed. Now we still have books scattered all over the house, so don't think every room is this tidy! ;-)