Monday, April 16, 2007

Monday Recipe - Applesauce Muffins

I am always looking for something new for breakfast. Two of my boys think you have killed them if you offer cereal. One HATES oatmeal. One would rather not have pancakes (or anything sweet). Something they all agree on, they would really prefer a hot breakfast. Occasionally I make muffins, ignoring the protests of "no sweets" boy, the rest of the family loves muffins.

The other day I tried a new muffin recipe. I found it in Lunches and Snacks by Sue Gregg. I decided if I was going to hear the muffin protest I was going all out and using fresh ground whole wheat as well. "No Sweets" boy is also resistant to my attempts to incorporate whole wheat into our diet.

These muffins were a big hit. All the boys loved them, my critic eating THREE of them. The cold leftovers even met the approval of RacerDad. I have made them since without fresh ground flour and they were just as delicious.

Applesauce Muffins

Melt butter and place in a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly beat in remaining liquid ingredients with wire whisk, one at a time in the order listed:

1/4 cup melted butter, unsalted preferred
1 egg
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Place flour and nuts in a medium mixing bowl. Thoroughly blend in remaining ingredients with a mixing spoon:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional (I used pecans)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

If you have any suggestions for my picky breakfast crew...any comments would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I was just about to post a breakfast recipe on my blog! Go check it out. :-)

Love,
Becca