Monday, March 05, 2007

Swedish Nut Cake

Now before you pass on this recipe because "you don't like nuts", please give it a try. It is one of those "oh my goodness, isn't it delicious" recipes. My middle son and my dad do not like nuts and they both ate more than one helping of this cake. I am also a hard sell on desserts that do not contain chocolate..why on earth would you waste sugar on something not chocolate??

The ladies in my bible study had this at a luncheon, back when I was sick, upon my return everyone was raving about this cake. The lady graciously shared the recipe and can I just say I am glad she did. This is one of those you have all the ingredients on hand ( I always keep pecans in my freezer, handy for desserts).

Swedish Nut Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 teaspoons soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, juice and all

Mix all ingredients BY HAND, pour into greased and floured (isn't Pam for baking wonderful??) 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Now here I needed to cook it longer, my oven registers correctly, but it took closer to 42 minutes for the cake to not be jiggly in the center, so watch it.

Icing

1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 box powdered sugar
2/3 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine all until smooth. Ice cake while still warm.

Now I will say this dessert was delicious on Friday, but it was even better Saturday and the crumbs that were left Sunday were the best. So you might want to make it the night before a gathering.

If you try this, please let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Scribbit said...

I've heard that most cakes are better the next day. Unfortunately they don't usually stick around long enough for me to test this theory. :)

It sounds delicious. Wonder why it should be mixed by hand. Maybe to keep things from sinking to the bottom of the batter?

pam said...

This was a yummy yummy thing
pam peters