Monday, November 13, 2006

Monday Morning Recipe

This recipe was one of my favorites many years ago. I got it from a college friend. She was a Hotel/Restaurant major and a wonderful cook. It was a staple during college and my first year out when I lived in New York. Then the recipe went missing. I had searched for years (almost 20..cough, cough, gasp!) at my house and at mom's. I had done online searches...are you getting the idea that I loved this recipe?? Then, two weeks ago, I was going through mom's recipes again. There it was, the elusive recipe. Written on a scrap of paper, in my sweet friend's handwriting. I couldn't believe it. Now that we are home and things are settling down, it is on the menu for this week. I hope it still tastes as good as I remember!

Fruited Chicken

3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 (2 1/2 to 3lb) chickens, cut up...I remember using chicken breasts
1/2 cup margarine
1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits
3 Tbs flour
1 Tbs sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce

Put flour and next four ingredients (spices) in a ziploc bag. Shake chicken pieces in bag to coat. Brown in margarine. Place chicken in 13x9 baking dish. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup of juice. Arrange fruit over chicken. Add flour, sugar, juice and soy sauce to drippings and cook until thick and bubbly. Pour over chicken. Cook at 350 degrees for one hour. Serve over rice.

No comments: