Friday, November 03, 2006

Sock Sadness

It is with great wailing and gnashing of teeth that I say my second sock is not done. I missed the deadline for Socktoberfest, but not only that I am having to backtrack.

I began turning the heel and the gussets Wednesday evening. Things went beautifully with the turn. I was able to pick up the stitches without any problems. I began the gussets...again no problems. The gussets went much faster this time, this was my second sock, it should go faster. I began the foot and thought things looked strange, but I was happy I was almost done. A pair of socks, hand knit by MOI to be worn to baseball this weekend. I continued, things still looked strange, I compared it to my first sock. They didn't exactly match, but I thought it will all work out in the end and perservered. Today I took the rose colored glasses off. The sock was not right. No matter what I wanted the sock was not the same. I got to looking closer. Sure enough, those beautiful gussets, that gave me no problems, were wrong. I finally figured out what it was. Instead of decreasing every other row, I decreased every row.

I called my LYS just knowing that there would be something I could do that would not involve taking out all those stitches. Can you say DENIAL??? Of course I have no choice but to take out over 50 rows. With the size yarn I am using, the expert recommends that I take one stitch at a time off. Yuck! I want to just chunk the whole thing in a drawer and forget about it. But, you see, I have one beautiful sock. It will be lonely...so I will be ripping at baseball intead of showing off my completed work. Pride trips me up again!


Related tags:; ;

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, I am so sorry about your sock! Hopefully it will go much quickly the second time around. :-) I am still up for a meeting at Starbucks so you can share all about sock-making with me!
Love,
Becca

Beth said...

Julie,
I'm sorry about your second sock. It annoys me to no end to have to rip back. Even with fingering weight yarn, however, I always just rip back and put back on the needles. I couldn't stand to tink stitch by stitch.

Chin up!