Monday, November 27, 2006

Monday Morning Recipe

Today is all about comfort foods. I have had a very hard time the last few weeks with depression. Last week especially was tough. I knew I would miss my mom, but I had no idea Thanksgiving would be so painful. The thought of pumpkin pie made me cry more than once...no one makes a pumpkin pie as good as my mother did.

Comfort foods for me include: mashed potatoes and cream gravy, macaroni and cheese, hot dogs with barbeque sauce, homemade bread, potato soup and creamy chocolate things. Do you have certain foods that bring comfort to your heart?

Here is a recipe for a casserole my oldest son loves.

Chicken Macaroni Casserole

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups light cream
1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
3/4 pound velveeta
16 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
3 cups cubed cooked chicken (or sometimes I use ham)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until combined. Add cream and 1 1/2 cups of the broth all at once; stir until smooth. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat; add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in macaroni, chicken, salt and pepper. Add additional broth if needed. Pour into a 3 qt baking dish. bake, uncovered at 350 degrees or 40 minutes or until heated through.

No comments: