Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #3


Thirteen Things Quotes from My Commonplace Book
My Commonplace book - writings by great authors that have touched my soul and enriched my thoughts.



1…. John Adams spent time...copying long extracts in a literary commonplace book. David McCullough from John Adams


2.... A man who has not better government of his tongue, no more command of his temper, is unfit for everything but children's play and the company of boys. John Adams

3... A thorough knowledge of the bible is worth more than a college education. Theodore Roosevelt

4...A man's reading program should be as carefully planned as his daily diet, for that too is food, without which he cannot grow mentally. Andrew Carnegie

5...Who is entrusted to human parents? a being belonging to an altogether higher estate than ours; as it were, a prince committed to the fostering care of peasants. Charlotte Mason

6...A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions. Oliver Wendall Holmes

7...It is easier to buy books than to read them, easier to read them than to absorb them. William Osler

8...A little library, growing every year, is an honorable part of a man's history. It is a man's duty to have books. A library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life. Henry Ward Beecher

9...Take my aunt- as good a specimen as I know of what you call a Christian! Yet she thinks and speaks no differently than those you would refer to as heathens. George Bascombe, The Curate's Awakening by George MacDonald

10..A room without books is like a body without a soul. G.K. Chesterton

11..It's all the same whatever he takes up; he gets tired of it, and starts on something fresh. Rat from The Wind in the Willows - discussing Toad

12..You should be sufficiently stong-minded not to yield to temptation. Yielding to temptation is the cause of most of the trouble in this world. Thornton Burgess from The Burgess Animal Book for Children

13..Haven't I seen you with the greatest authors in your hands, and don't I know how ready your attention is to wander when it's a book that asks for it, instead of a person? Wilkie Collins from The Moonstone

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Firefly

2. Tess

3. Duchess

4. Colleen Gleason

5. Jane

6. Barbara



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is sad that #3 even needs to be stated. "Ouch!" to #7! And I really must show my husband #8. :p Great idea for TT! I might use it myself one of these weeks.

Anonymous said...

I did my fave quotes last week.

BTW - your comment WAY outweighed any embarrassing moment I may have had EVAH in my life.

thanks for visiting me!

Colleen Gleason said...

Very nice list. Thanks for coming by my TT--13 Things Cluttering my Desk while I'm Trying to Write My Next Book!

Jane said...

What a great list. Loved it, especially #2 in light of John Kerry's idiotic remarks.
Thanks for stopping by my T13.

Anonymous said...

Some great quotes there! Though #9 confuses me somewhat. Especially like # 3, 4, and 8.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

I like #6 especially!

Thanks for visiting my TT! I'm a little late returning the visit but better late than never!